Welcome to our new Top 5 feature! Every Monday we'll have a new top 5. It'll be loads of fun!
This weeks topic is also kicking off a four week series about photographing your party.
1) Poor time management: Trying to finish decorating while guests arrive is my biggest pet peeve, yet, I’ve been guilty of just that. With poor time management, I haven’t left enough time for the detail shots and before pictures of the party scene.
2) Dead battery: Neglecting to charge my camera battery. Yes, that has happened to me. Don’t forget about the “memory card full” message too. Nothing more fun than trying to tell your toddler to pause the gift opening while you’re trying to delete photos or dig through a junk drawer looking for another memory card.
3) Terrible lighting: I’ve learned the hard way that I need to do a few test shots and have a lighting plan in place. Words can’t describe the frustration of loading all the fun party pictures and finding terrible lighting in a majority of them. You’re now left with either crappy pictures or spending a boat load of time editing. Gah.
4) Horrendous backgrounds: I have what would be an ADORABLE photo of my daughter with one of her grandmas if it weren’t for the pile of dirty party dishes right next to her head in the background. Sometimes this is unavoidable in candid shots, but it would have been so easy to ask grandma to step over a few feet. Be aware of your backgrounds!
5) Missing in Action: Guess how many photos I’m in from my daughter’s last birthday party? One. ONE! Lesson learned. Be present!
What are some of the mistakes you've made and learned from when photographing your parties?